Thursday, August 13, 2015

M is for Mice, and Maine coon cats ....

The barn where my daughter rides is the home of several cats.  One cat in particular has always caught my eye.  Friendlier than the other two, this one also looks completely different than his buddies.

I researched  his 'look' online, and asked a friend who has a similiar, although, much larger cat.  Her cat is a Main coon cat.  He is gigantic.

All of this led me to read up more about the Main coon cat.   They can grow to be approximately 25 pounds and they have personalities that are described as 'doglike in friendliness'.  They are very hairy. Lots and lots of thick long cat hair.

Here are a few pics of the breed, from a kitten to fully grown.  It takes them several years to achieve their adult weight and height.  But! Wow! When they stop growing, something tells me the owners' may be a bit relieved - can you imagine keeping one of these guys in kitty kibble?
 75 day old Main coon cat, kitten

fully grown 

this will give you an idea of size

All of this being said, I think I now know why there are never any mice around that barn. Ever. 

5 comments:

  1. Now I think I want a Maine coon cat. What a beautiful creature! I could use a little help with the mice around this place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowza! Our Molly the Cat is part Maine Coon. I guess it's a good thing, but I wouldn't mind having her be 25 lbs. Sometimes, she's more like a dog than a cat.
    The View from the Top of the Ladder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice presentation....probably too big to be a house cat, but sounds like a great pet♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/manipulations/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a size for a cat, definitely would not go done well as a pet in our house but very attractive.

    ReplyDelete